Are you also amongst the people who tend to make a lot of resolutions every year, but bail out of them pretty soon? Do you feel sorry for not being able to stick to a resolution last year and thinking of making it work this time? Yes, its that time of the year again where we all think of what resolutions to take and more importantly, how to stick on to them!
Most of us are unable to be on top of our New Year Resolutions because:
- The resolutions are too demanding – If you make a resolution that you would be a size 0 when today you are a size 10 and you love food, then come on, are you not like expecting too much from yourself. Let us make it realistic this time
- They are boring – You took a resolution that you would spend at least 30 minutes a day reading, but, you are someone who is not much of a reader i.e. you do not like to read. How are you going to save yourself from getting bored? Look for something that interests you and you want to build on top of it.
- They are not a part of our everyday life – New Year Resolutions like I will Volunteer and make a difference to the world – highly likely to fail if you have a jam-packed schedule. So before vowing to make something work, try to look for something that can fit into your routine and is not just dreamy or too hypothetical
- You do not have a plan of how you would do that – This is the case most of the time. We want to do a lot but do not have a plan for the same. And hence, we are most likely to fail on it. This time, before make any resolution, take a resolution to plan on how to make it a success.
So to help you out, here is a list of resolutions that you can take and make them work for you:
- Adopt a healthy Lifestyle – If you have been having health issues or want to cut down some of your weight, then this should be on the top of the list. While making the resolution, make sure that you have the plan clear with you and that you have the time to make it work. Changes in your lifestyle would benefit you in the long run.
- Travel – Someone said it right : “Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show” . Everyone loves to travel, but it is not always easy owing to so many other factors. To make that happen, make it a habit to set some money aside each month solely for the purpose of travel. If even that is not possible, look for Free Stuff happening in and around your area and make sure that you go and attend these events. You never know when you might get lucky and win a Travel Package! Or maybe something more than that – maybe a win win situation.
- Acquire new skills – There is this famous quote from Albert Einstein – “Once you stop learning, you start dying”. In order to have growth in life, it is imperative that one always keeps learning. And today, you do not always have to pay hefty amounts tolerant something new. Here is a list of free resources for online learning
- Spend less amount of time on social media – The world today seems captive to Social Media. Any of the buffer time that the millennial have today, they spend it browsing through their social media feeds. I am not saying that it is completely useless. But is it really worth your time. In case you really want to get a lot done without wasting a lot of time, this must be one of your resolutions. If you can completely delete those apps from your mobile phones and check for updates only when you log in to your computers, then great; if not, then put in a productivity app that tracks the amount of time you spend on the various social media websites and then generates a report end of day. Tracking the time spent would automatically trigger you to minimize the amount of time you WASTE that can otherwise be put to some greater use
- Improve your finances – Ok, this is something that everyone wants to do, but most of us do not know how. So if you really want to improve your finances, you can try out some of the things that I do:
- Use Ebates for all your shopping – This is a website/app that gives you cash back for your shopping, and also gives you a Big Fat Check of $10 – interesting isn’t it? You can read more about it here
- Do not let your spare money sit idle, you can invest it using Stash – Stash is an app that lets you invest as low as $5 that you would get when you sign up with them with my link. So put in your spare money and let it grow.
- Use an app like Ibotta for your grocery shopping – This app gives you deals and coupons and when you upload the receipt, gives you the money difference back, its as easy as that. Also,use my link and you can get a $10 welcome bonus!
These are all the resolutions that I can think of. If you are taking a resolution that you know how to stick to, please let us know in the comments.
Wishing you a Happy New Year!